Sunday, April 17, 2011

1 Day Down, 89 to go

Well I'm not going to be a first thing in the  morning P90X'r. I started my day off with Lucky Charms. I know I know. Tomorrow I'm going to have an egg white omelet. I did have a nice snack of avocado and a healthy lunch of tuna on rye and a cucumber. Go me. Tonight I'm going to cook up a nice lean chicken breast dinner with some snap green beans. So I am planning on cleaning up my eating habits. I just needed the lucky charms to make me feel good this morning. I love my lucky charms.

I did my first workout at 3:00 in the afternoon and I'm  thinking that's probably going to be pretty standard for me. I'm not an early riser so it's not likely that I'm going to get a workout in before work and I wanted to do it at a time when other people were home to kind of motivate me. I was pleasantly surprised how supportive my family was because I'm sure I looked absolutely ridiculous. But my kids did some of the exercises with me and didn't laugh at me. My 9 year old son was very impressed with Tony Horton and is excited about doing some pushups and pull ups so he can get a nice set of shoulders. Nothing like what's on the video, I don't want him to injure himself.

The first workout is shoulders and back. It's a long workout. I'm more of a twenty minute girl so it was hard for me to keep going and push all the way through to the end. It's mostly a combination of pull ups, push ups, and working with weights. I used the resistance band to do a modified pull up that I was actually capable of doing. It was hard. Really hard. These are not muscles I work in my everyday life. I was slow and didn't get in very many reps. But I did do some every single time that Tony did so I will get better. The push ups were also a great trial to me. I can get through about 2 and a half and spent the rest of the time just struggling. Now at first I spent my time with my nose buried in the carpet trying to get up off the ground. I promised myself I wasn't going to cheat and do proper pushups, from my knee's. But about half way through the workout Tony mentioned that I shouldn't go farther down than I can push myself up so the second half was spent with trembling arms going to the half way mark before trying to go back up. It was not a fun time for me. Again, I did some push ups every time that Tony did. It's not a big accomplishment but it's what I've got going for me so I'm going to focus on that.

After the absolutely brutal shoulders and back workout, I had to do the much shorter 20 minute ab ripper x workout. This was a little more familiar to me, as I've done ab workouts before.  It was still very intense and I'm going to be feeling it, but it was definitely more inside my comfort zone. Still, I did not keep up with any of the demonstrators in the video. Again I promised myself I wasn't going to cheat so I didn't roll around and rock to make my situps easier. Some of the exercises I could do, others I could try to do. But I'm quite proud of myself that I kept on swimming to the very end. I was pushing myself just as hard at the end of the workout as at the beginning.

I drank 8 big glasses of water, my daughter was kind enough to refill for me. I sweated most of it right back out and felt disgusting and light headed until I jumped in the shower. I'm not really one for doing things that make me sweat so this is new territory for me. I'm sure I will hurt everywhere tomorrow but right now I just feel some burn in my shoulders and my back. I'll push play tomorrow at 3:00 for Pylometrics.
Go me.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting through your first day girl, I'll be checking up on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I'm so proud of you! I will warn you about Pylometrics - you will feel like a jumping bean and wear a good set of shoes. :) I can't wait for you to get to yoga and Kepeno - those are my personal favs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were so right about pylometrics. It completely kicked my butt. I thought I was okay but two days later my thighs were so sore it hurt to sit down and stand up. It was fun though :) So how is your P90X going? Are you still feeling good about it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on day 9 of P90 and tonight I will do Pylometrics which while I like it, it's not my fav. I personally love yoga and Kepeno. Since I started I've lost about 1.5 lbs. I'm not doing it to lose weight, just tone up and build stamina. Being a single mom with a 4yr old is tiring. I will say get losts of rest bc I know when I don't get enough sleep I can tell it gets harder to self-motivate. I think it's a great idea that your kiddos do it with you! My son does his version of it with me too and I think it's down right cute! :)

    Keep it up girly! Bring it!!!

    ReplyDelete